Diarrhoea is an extremely common problem in dogs and cats and has a variety of potential causes.
Potential causes include:
- Dietary sensitivity and intolerance
- Worms (roundworms and tapeworms)
- Parasites (such as giardia and coccidia)
- Bacterial infection (such as salmonella and campylobacter)
- Viral infections (such as coronavirus, rotavirus and parvovirus)
- Pancreatic disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
Diarrhoea can vary in its severity and duration. In mild cases, affected dogs and cats may remain bright and alert in themselves whereas, in more severe cases, they may become unwell, have a high temperature, develop concurrent vomiting, have blood in the faeces and/or become dehydrated. Most mild diarrhoea cases resolve within a few days with appropriate therapy, whereas severe and ongoing diarrhoea cases require hospitalisation and a thorough veterinary investigation.
Supplements are available, such as Logic® Firm
, that help to support intestinal function. It contains montmorrillonite which helps maintain intestinal function by coating and supporting the intestinal cells, and absorbing toxins. Logic® Firm
also contains prebiotics, these help to maintain intestinal flora by promoting the growth of good bacteria (such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli) at the expense of potentially harmful pathogenic bacteria.
has an easy-to-use syringe and palatable formula. It contains 4 key ingredients to help quickly restore normal digestive health:
- Coats and supports the intestinal lining.
- Absorbs toxins. Na+ Mg2+ and K+ ions:
- Help to restore electrolytes lost through diarrhoea.
- Provides an energy source for the small intestine.
- Prebiotics (FOS – fructo-oligosaccharides)
- Help to restore the normal bacterial flora.
If your dog or cat is suffering from diarrhoea then veterinary advice should be sought, especially if they are unwell in themselves and/or the diarrhoea is ongoing. Your veterinary surgeon will then be able to investigate the possible cause and develop a treatment regime that is tailored to your pet.